Huacachina (pronounced Wack-a-cheena) is a small oasis in the middle of the desert. This tiny oasis surrounded by towering sand dunes nestles next to a picturesque (but a wee bit smelly) lagoon that is featured on the back of Peru's S/50 note. This was once a resort for the Peruvian elite. The lagoon's murky waters supposedly have curative properties. What a gorgeous little get away!
The lagoon...
Gorgeous blue sky and beautiful hot sand, soooo nice, especially considering there is likely snow at home right now!
Dejan in the lobby of our hostel. (Yep, that's a hostal! only one year old, I thought it was a pretty great find, and came highly recommended to us by Pedro, our cabbie!)
The oasis of Huacachina from a near by dune on our way back from sand boarding.
Dan is already strapped into this contraption they call Areneros (dune buggy)
I can possibly show pics from while we were driving - it was crazy bumpy and crazy fast! Too insane and way tooooooo much fun! (to my jeepin amigos - you'd have been in your GLORY!)
This is probably about the third sand dune we went down, some standing up, and some on our tummies, It was way fun laying down - crazy how fast you can get going! Dejan was so good, he always ended up going the farthest of all of us! Scrolling down, you'll see Dejan become a weeeee little speck, that's how big the hill was - and this wasn't even the biggest! The final hill was the largest, and I'm surprised I had a voice by the time I made it to the bottom! Holy heck, it doesn't get much better than this!
Yep, that tiny, wee little black speck, that's him! and check the desert - sooo vast, unbelievable!
We spent the evening grabbing a bit to eat at a local shop and did a little souvenir shopping, then off to bed fairly early as we're heading out first thing for Nasca! Our new buddy Pedro is taking us the two hour drive, and has arranged for us to do a fly over of the Nasca lines! Yeeee, I'm so excited!
XO
We spent the evening grabbing a bit to eat at a local shop and did a little souvenir shopping, then off to bed fairly early as we're heading out first thing for Nasca! Our new buddy Pedro is taking us the two hour drive, and has arranged for us to do a fly over of the Nasca lines! Yeeee, I'm so excited!
XO
Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete